Gift of Grace is hosting a Church Bazaar. Come share a cup of cocoa and consider purchasing fair trade knitwear, coffee, chocolates, and olive oils for your gift giving this season. There will also be fresh baked goods, preserves, and handcrafted novelties. The proceeds from this fundraiser benefit the Fair Trade organizations and Gift of Grace Church through the matching grant “Matthew 25: Neighbors in Need Grant Program” with $0.50 on the $1.00 up to $5000 from Thrivent Financial.
Bazaar Dates & Times
Friday, November 7th 3PM to 8PM
Saturday, November 8th 9AM to 6PM
Sunday, November 9th 1PM to 5PM
For more information, contact Mary at email@example.com
The winner of the 1st annual Wallingford Chili Cook Off hosted by Gift of Grace Church was Wallingford neighbor, Dale Levitzke! Out of 6 submitted chilis, Dale’s “Scorpion’s Kiss” Chili took first prize and will be the official chili recipe in the rotating menu for Gift of Grace’s weekly Sunday dinner, GraceFeast. This is a delicious, comfort food themed, homemade dinner for the neighborhood, served at Gift of Grace every Sunday at 11:45AM. www.giftofgrace.org
Beside the bragging rights, Dale won a gift basket with donations provided by Irwin’s Neighborhood Bakery & Café, The Bounty Café (aka Caffe Appassionato) and Fair Trade items provided by Gift of Grace. Chili Cook Off Judges included representatives from Chow Foods’ TNT Taqueria on N. 45th St., Tutta Bella Pizzeria on Stone Way, Irwin’s Bakery & Café on N. 40th St. and friends and members from Gift of Grace.
Come and taste “Scorpion’s Kiss” Chili at GraceFeast Sunday Dinner on Sunday November 16 at 11:45! Congratulations Dale!!
We are inviting residents of the Wallingford neighborhood to prepare their Chili to be entered into this Cook Off where five judges (local Wallingford restaurant owners/chefs and a Gift of Grace member) will taste and select the most delicious and appropriate chili for our purpose.
First Prize Winner earns the bragging rights of their chili to be used in the recipe book and rotating menu for our Sunday Dinner that we call GraceFeast*. This is a free community event where neighbors may also participate by eating chili, GraceFeast Cornbread, enjoying live music and awaiting the outcome of the Cook Off!
What is our purpose?
*What is GraceFeast? Each Sunday, we invite our neighbors, by personal invitation to GraceFeast. The point of GraceFeast is that homed and homeless people gather together for a homemade, family style meal. It is not a soup kitchen, feeding program or a social service. It is not a service TO a group of people as much as it is a service AMONG people of diverse demographics. Gathering together builds genuine relationships and an opportunity for genuine community.
You will find the “Rules” below but if you have any questions, you may contact Vivian at 206-795-1220.
WALLINGFORD CHILI COOK OFF RULES
Contestants may submit your recipe to Gift of Grace c/o Wallingford Chili Cook Off @ 2102 N. 40th St. Seattle, WA 98103 or email your recipe to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The winner of the Chili Cook Off will have the honor of their chili recipe included in the rotational dinner menu for GraceFeast, a weekly Sunday Dinner hosted by Gift of Grace in service to the Wallingford neighborhood. The winner will also be awarded a gift basket with items procured from the Wallingford business community.
- The submission deadline is Sept. 30, 2014
- In your submission, please provide a written recipe that would serve 50-60 people (Judges will not see your recipe). Include the cost of this 50-60 servings batch, your name, address in Wallingford and a contact (either email or phone number) so that we may assign a number to your chili submission
- The cost of the batch of chili (serving 50-60) should be no more that $60
- On the Chili Cook Off Day, please provide (at least) a 5-6 quart pot (that serves approx. 16)
- Your chili will need to be prepared off site
- Deliver your heated chili to the Gift of Grace kitchen on Sunday Oct. 5 no later than 11:30AM (the kitchen is the most Southern door on the East side of the building)
- Please maintain your anonymity when delivering your chili but have your entry number attached to the container
Definition of Chili:
- Your chili should not be cost prohibitive (no exotic ingredients that are difficult to access)
- You may use beans or not
- It may be made with or without meat
- You may use red or green chilies and there is no heat restriction (though extremely hot chili may not be appropriate for GraceFeast Dinners)
- The total cooking and prep time (not including bean soak, if that is your method) should not be more than 4 hours
The chili will also be judged on these qualities
Welcome to the world Owen Parke! Congratulations Adrian and Ana Parke!
Dear Friends in Christ,
With joy I report three things. Each one deserves more attention, but I want to hurry up and get the news out:
1) We received a $5000 Grant from Thrivent. Give thanks for our partners.
2) Grace Gospel Chapel sold their Ballard building and will be sharing our space and partnering with us in ministry. They will be worshiping on Sundays at 1:30 PM. They move in Aug. 13th and worship Aug 16th. One thing they are bringing with them is their baby grand piano! Pray for Grace Gospel Chapel, and their pastor, Sharon Busch.
3) Little Castle Preschool is doing well and Gift of Grace is receiving income from it. Pray for Adrienne!
Thanks be to God for these sign of God’s steadfast love and care.
Peace and power to you from Christ
Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
On Wednesday July 16th, with eight people present, the following proposal (b0ld, italics) was presented, discussed and adopted.
On June 24, 2014 Gift of Grace temporarily adjusted Pastor Fecher’s pay so that he would be paid $1490 net, per month, plus benefits and housing.1) The accounting of this adjustment in compensation and benefits ($1966/mo) will be understood as assuming an ongoing liability to Pastor Fecher in the form of a loan (rather than as a renegotiation of his contract) for as long as this temporary period extends.2) This liability will include all unpaid compensation, pension payments, and the interest that would have accrued from the unpaid portion of the pension payments.3) The unpaid compensation will be due a 5% interest rate per annum.
As conceded on June 24th. We must have additional meetings to further discuss the implications of this proposal [that adjusted pastor's salary by cutting it half] and the concerns surrounding it. Our first discussion will be on Wednesday July 30th, 7-8:30 PM. Please plan to attend. The Steering Team will consider how best to frame our discussions. Some basic questions that must be discussed are:
1) Are we committed to continue forward in our mission, building on the foundation already laid.
2) If so, what form will that take?
3) Do we want to scrap the ministry and try to start over?
4) If so, what form will that take?
5) How will we sustain whatever we do from a financial perspective and a human resource perspective?
6) Do we want to cease being a congregation together?
7) If so, what are our plans to meet our obligations for proper closure and what will we do with the congregation’s assets?
Peace and power to you from Christ,
Gift of Grace Steering Team
The congregation met last Wednesday night to do our due diligence in affirming a budget. The two main reasons we needed to do this were: 1) acknowledge to ourselves our financial picture 2) have an official document to be able to share with any potential mission partners.
Here is what we adopted:
Adopted proposal 7/2/14
We agree that the 3 documents presented (Financial Narrative, Profit Loss Budget vs Actual, Balance Sheet) [attached to this email] accurately represents the circumstances of Gift of Grace finances for 2014, both what has actually happened and the plan forward given our current trajectory.
Dear Friends in Christ,
At the congregational meeting last night there were nine members present and 2 guests. We adopted the proposal below. We give thanks to God for all who participated and all who held the meeting in prayer. Being just two sentences, the proposal reflects the outcome of the meeting, but not the passion and love that led to the outcome. It also does not reflect the dedication to our mission that was clearly expressed at the meeting.As the proposal indicates, this is the beginning of hard work. The proposal is a necessary but insufficient measure. Please pay attention to upcoming meetings and plan to participate. We need each other to proceed faithfully.
We had a meeting last Wednesday night that followed up last week’s email, the subject line of which read, Very Important Gift of Grace Meeting. About 25 people were present. The Steering Team had very modest goals for the meeting: 1) inform the congregation that the June 15 payroll check for the pastor would be deferred, 2) Acknowledge the need to free up cash immediately and into the future 3) begin a discussion about how to do that.
In our messy, consensus building way we were able to agree to this proposal: Expenses are greater than income so that we can no longer afford the pastor’s salary as agreed. We propose renegotiating the pastoral contract. The Steering Team will call another meeting of the congregation within a week to solidify the details of the renegotiation.
So, you can expect an email in the very near future inviting you to the next meeting during which we will look at the new shape of congregational ministry with the pastor at less pay. There is no requirement that you attended the last meeting to attend this meeting. You can come.
We give thanks to God that we are given the opportunity to invest our whole selves in lifting up Christ for our neighbors and inviting them more deeply into the life of God. It is a blessing to be able to stick together during difficult times while making difficult decisions about how to do this. Thanks be to God for those who participated in this last meeting. When you receive the email inviting you to the next meeting please make the time to come.
peace and power to you from Christ,
Pastor Fecher, Vivian Little, Tim Linnemann
The Steering Team